Friday 25 February 2011

Inside Style - Seasonal Surge Disorder

Inside Style - by Annmarie O'Connor - featured in The Dubliner -  Feb 24

Seasonal surge disorder. I think I have it. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that most people in fashion suffer from this unofficial condition. Let me explain. It’s technically spring but it still feels like winter. Floral crop tops and ditsy tea dresses cavort wantonly in window displays despite it being too cold to wear them. Although international designers are currently previewing autumn winter designs, I’ll be damned if I can find a cosy jumper on the high street. To cap it all off, every other press release that finds its way into my inbox is telling me it’s Easter. Go figure.

Fashion being nature’s early adapter has even found a buzzword – transitional wear - for such style limbo. This clothing sub-set is often overlooked for its outwardly functional appearance, but as my mother would say ‘when all fruit fails, welcome haws.’ Hence the perennial popularity of wellingtons and parkas long after the power supply has been turned off at Electric Picnic. It’s a bit like a circuit breaker - these sensible basics keep one grounded in said seasonal surges. Reassuringly practical.

What I cannot fathom however is the recent rash of hybrid clothing. If I were a betting gal, I’d say there was a mighty big hedge somewhere with a row of shearling-lined sandals (they exist!), cropped capes, leather shorts and non-committal midi skirts in the offing. It’s not that I can’t appreciate the entrepreneurial nous of a semi-conductor garment (although I draw the line at furry flip flops); it just seems like a sheer waste of energy.

Granted puffas, YakTrax and thermal vests aren’t exactly rising mercury must-haves but a back up of merino wool crew necks never did any harm I say. Only recently I spotted a two snugly but spring-appropriate sweaters in a Grafton Street retail establishment. Within days they were replaced with cropped shirts and striped skater skirts before I even had a chance to extract my credit card from the bottom of my bag (a.k.a. Pandora’s Box; pit of despair; valley of no-return).

It’s either nothing or in between; what ever happened to having it all? I’m just a simple gal with a few simple needs (excluding my shoe collection); looking to replenish my cashmere stocks. Someone please give me a heads up and while you’re at it, tell me what month we’re in.

Blog Archive