Thursday 8 September 2011

America - Simon & Garfunkel

Image courtesy of: Urban Gurl @ http://simongarfunkel.tumblr.com

I was on the DART yesterday listening to Simon & Garkfunkel's 'America' when it struck me how similar this simple elegy is to Eliot's Prufrock with its cache of clothing references:

Unlike Eliot however whose loss is defined by an inability to permeate the hermetic seal of Edwardian society, Kathy and Simon  share a more palpable loss. Despite being tethered together in their search for a better life:

"Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together.
I've got some real estate here in my bag."

And the sense of excitement which the beginning of a new adventure brings:

"Laughing on the bus
Playing games with the faces
She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy
I said "Be careful his bowtie is really a camera""
The reality of hardship is a familiar stranger they will never escape.


"Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat"
"We smoked the last one an hour ago"

The sense of loneliness and isolation is heightened by their togetherness:

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why"

a foreboding seense of ennui punctuted by  'counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike '; much like that of Eliot's life 'measured out in coffee spoons':
"They've all gone to look for America"

Seems like everyone is still searching...


CLICK HERE to visit Urban Gurl's Flick site & find out more about the Paint Saginaw project.

Blog Archive